Things You'll Need to Fill Out the FAFSA

  • Your Social Security card/number or Alien registration card (you will not be able to start the FAFSA process without one of these)
  • Your driver’s license or state-issued identification card
  • Your income information (bank statements; a W-2 or pay stub, if you have a job; past tax return, if you filed)
  • Your parent, if you are under the age of 24*
  • Your parent’s financial information (bank statements; W-2 or pay stub; last year’s tax return)
  • Your parent’s social security number, if they have one. If they don't its okay.
  • Any additional financial information (such as child support statements, TANF or welfare information; real estate, stock or bonds investments; family business or farm info)

Things to Know

  • You can use last year’s tax return to estimate your current tax information and submit the FAFSA. If you do this, you will update and make corrections after you file your taxes.
  • Changes can be made to your submitted FAFSA as early as 3 days after submitting
  • You must be a U.S. citizen or legal resident to submit a FAFSA. However, your parents do not need to be citizens or legal residents.

*All students over 24 are considered independent from their parents. The FAFSA will help you determine if you are considered dependent or independent if you are younger than 24. Only dependents need to file parent information.